My name is Catherine Nugent, I live in Victoria Australia. I've been studying parelli natural horsemanship for the past 3 years.
This blog is a dedication to my journey to becoming a Parelli Professional. To document my thoughts, ideas, ups & downs as they happen.
In the words of Linda Parelli "get your goal, Keep it & protect it." This is where I will do this.
My Journey To Becoming a Horsewomen
I know I will hit a lot of roadblocks on the way to becoming a horsewomen. But I choose to go to the top & be the very best that I can be.
I know there will be no problems along my the way; only new solutions to find & that I need to think about where I want to go, and who I want to be; think about all the baby steps on the way & every day- work on those.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
OF THE WEEK
* If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten
* Every day I welcome myself to a new level of incompetence
* If your horses says 'no', you either asked the wrong question, or asked the question wrong
* Cause your idea to become his idea, but understand his idea FIRST
* Your horse can only be as brave as you are
* Do it FOR the horse, not TO him
* Natural-Horse-Man-Ship is so old, its new again
* Don't learn the tricks of the Trade, Learn the Trade
* Take the time it takes, so it takes less time
* Trust that he'll respond, but be ready to correct- NOT more one than the other!
* Horses don't need training, they need good leadership
* Horses don't wear wrist watches
* If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
* If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten
* Every day I welcome myself to a new level of incompetence
* If your horses says 'no', you either asked the wrong question, or asked the question wrong
* Cause your idea to become his idea, but understand his idea FIRST
* Your horse can only be as brave as you are
* Do it FOR the horse, not TO him
* Natural-Horse-Man-Ship is so old, its new again
* Don't learn the tricks of the Trade, Learn the Trade
* Take the time it takes, so it takes less time
* Trust that he'll respond, but be ready to correct- NOT more one than the other!
* Horses don't need training, they need good leadership
* Horses don't wear wrist watches
* If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
This Week
Had such a awesome week this week! The weather is starting to turn, but we had a beautiful weekend just gone and some really great nights. I've still got a flu thing and getting out of bed in the mornings has been impossible for about a month, I have not idea whats going on- but the air con in the Hotel in Sydney has set it off again, and I've had a really bad head cold on top since! But, that aside, I was feeling great in the afternoons, and couldn't wait to get outside with Archie!
We've been playing for about an hour to two hours each night. Everything from undemanding time to freestyle patterns.
I've ridden about 4 hours with week! Big for me! I had my first canter in 2 1/2 years! It was beautiful- so calm, connected and offered at the perfect moment by Archie. I don't think I've ever felt something so nice before- well worth the wait in every way!
We are almost all the way through the L1 Freestyle patterns and are almost finished with the Online patterns for L2. It all depends on the weather now- living in Gippsland means for the next 6 months I'm at the mercy of the wind and rain; and living on top of a hill doesn't help the situation too much....
I'm hoping to film my Online audition this weekend- we had a practice run on the weekend just gone- I got inside to find out that Diablo had flung my carrot stick at the camera while it was filming and knocked in on a funny angle so it was filming the side of Syd's Head- so got about 30 seconds of Archie and I playing! Very funny!
I also learnt a valuable lesson about principle No. 2! Make and teach no assumptions!
On Sunday afternoon I assumed Diablo would be ok with me rubbing hims legs down. I haven't done this at all this week- but I'd made a program out of it and he had been doing great! So I assumed he would be again.... Wrong!
I run my hand down his hind leg, rubbed, run it back up the inside- as I always do, and up under his hip. I'm not too sure what happened next- other than the pray animal kicked in and I rode his hip up into the air as he kick out at my back and threw me about 1 meter! Make and Teach NO assumptions! I will never ASSUME he is ok again- next time I'll do the prior and proper preparation & do my pre-leg rub checks before sticking my HEAD near his backside!
No harm done and a valuable lesson learned. I think I'll bring out the old carrot stick with the plastic bag next time!
We've been playing for about an hour to two hours each night. Everything from undemanding time to freestyle patterns.
I've ridden about 4 hours with week! Big for me! I had my first canter in 2 1/2 years! It was beautiful- so calm, connected and offered at the perfect moment by Archie. I don't think I've ever felt something so nice before- well worth the wait in every way!
We are almost all the way through the L1 Freestyle patterns and are almost finished with the Online patterns for L2. It all depends on the weather now- living in Gippsland means for the next 6 months I'm at the mercy of the wind and rain; and living on top of a hill doesn't help the situation too much....
I'm hoping to film my Online audition this weekend- we had a practice run on the weekend just gone- I got inside to find out that Diablo had flung my carrot stick at the camera while it was filming and knocked in on a funny angle so it was filming the side of Syd's Head- so got about 30 seconds of Archie and I playing! Very funny!
I also learnt a valuable lesson about principle No. 2! Make and teach no assumptions!
On Sunday afternoon I assumed Diablo would be ok with me rubbing hims legs down. I haven't done this at all this week- but I'd made a program out of it and he had been doing great! So I assumed he would be again.... Wrong!
I run my hand down his hind leg, rubbed, run it back up the inside- as I always do, and up under his hip. I'm not too sure what happened next- other than the pray animal kicked in and I rode his hip up into the air as he kick out at my back and threw me about 1 meter! Make and Teach NO assumptions! I will never ASSUME he is ok again- next time I'll do the prior and proper preparation & do my pre-leg rub checks before sticking my HEAD near his backside!
No harm done and a valuable lesson learned. I think I'll bring out the old carrot stick with the plastic bag next time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment